Sunday, May 10, 2009

These Thing Happen In Threes

While I was out the other day I bumped into a friend of mine who I'd not seen in some time, and I recalled the reason for that long absence approximately two minutes into our conversation. I remembered that this was one of my "friends" that I could only be around for short periods of time, because the more time we spent together, the greater the likelihood of our friendship devolving into, at best, a total crazed bitchfight, or, at worst, possible manslaughter, (tho I kinda believe I'd get off with a temporary insanity plea if it came down to me actually choking the life outta him.)

It was around the 2-minute mark that he asked me how everything was going and what I'd been up to recently. I mentioned that my mom, whom he'd met, had passed away as had my dog Buster (whom he'd also met, tho I think Buster liked him less than my Mom, but I can't be certain.) He grabbed my hand and said, "Oh, honey... you must be so worried, since these things happen in threes."

I kid you not... that was his response to the death of my mother and my dog. "Oh, honey ... you must be so worried, these things happen in threes."

It was one of those moments where time stood still and this post practically wrote itself in my mind. "These things happen in threes." OMFG... what a putz!

My near-instantaneous and totally snarky reply (probably one of the reasons I won't see this guy for another 6 months) was, "Threes huh? Well, if there is any truth in that statement I'd better back up so as to avoid the gigantic boulder or grand piano that should be dropping onto your head in true Wile E. Coyote Warner Brothers fashion. This will deprive me of having such a truly sympathetic friend as yourself, but I think I'll soldier on."

No comments: